The Winnebago County Literacy Council creates opportunities for people to read, write, and speak English, and perform everyday skills with confidence. Our vision is to create an engaging community where everyone has the opportunity to realize his or her potential through literacy. Our core values are empowerment, compassion, collaboration, inclusion, commitment, and a focus on outcomes.
WCLC gets remarkable results. In 2016 alone
- More than 250 learners received 1-to-1 tutoring, group tutoring, and homework help.
- In 2016, the WCLC had 205 participants in English classes.
- 81 adults participated in Road to Work for Refugees and Immigrants.
- 536 learners were served during 2016 with English classes, Road to Work, and tutoring.
- WCLC trained over 100 tutors in 2016 which included a class of UWO-Quest III students.
- Over 4,000 hours were donated by WCLC Volunteers, to improve the lives of learners in the WCLC's Learner-Centered (One-to-One) Tutoring program, served on our board, grant editor, and participated in events and special projects.